Poori and Potato Masala is a unbeatable combination, It is an Evergreen dish. When i was a kid, my mom prepare poori and potato masala at least once in two weeks. I just love it. Now a days i use to have it occasionally, may be once in three months . But you know, When i start preparing poori or even decided to have it for dinner i will be overjoyed 🙂 Crispy yet Soft poori’s make me feel so good. Once in a while, we can forget about our diet and have it. Food is all about enjoyment.
- Boiled skin off Potato – 5 nos ( Crumbled)
- Onion – 1 large size ( thinly sliced onions )
- Ginger – 1 inch ( Finely chopped)
- Garlic – 5 pods ( Finely chopped)
- Curry Leaves – 7
- Coriander Leaves /Cilantro
- Mustard seed – 1 tsp
- Cumin seed – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Chana dal – 1 tsp
- Cashews – 5-7
- A pinch of Asafoetida/hing
- Green chili – 2 or more depend on your spice level( Chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt and Oil as Needed
- Water – 1 cup
- To begin making potato masala, in a preheated pan add in some oil, once the oil become hot add mustard seed ,cumin seed and let them crackle. Now add urad dal, chana dal and cashews. Cook it for a minute.
- Now it’s time to add curry leaves, ginger, garlic and green chili, cook it until the raw smell goes off.
- Add thinly sliced onions now, cook it for few mins.I like the onion to be crunchy, so i will not cook onion for a long time.
- Add boiled and crumbed potato’s. Mix it well so that onions and potato well combined.
- Add asafortida/hing , turmeric powder and salt. Give it a saute for a good 5 mins.
- Add water and cook it in a medium flame for 5-7 more mins.The potato masala should thicken and have a right consistency.
- .Lastly add chopped coriander leaves. Stir very well and switch off the flame.
- Serve it hot with Pooris, Dhosa and Chapatis.