This is a very tasty and delicious breakfast or a dinner dish. I love to have it with poori or bhatura. Such an excellent dish.There are so many ways to do it. My mom’s version of chana masala has coconut milk and other spices included. It tastes amazing. But lot of steps 😦 Being lazy i don’t think that works for me.Yes!! I don’t have that much patience’s lol .. so i prepared my own version and here it is!!
- Chana – 3 cups ( Soaked for min of 5 hours and pressure cooked in 6 whistles)
- Onion – 1 big (Roughly chopped)
- Tomato – 1 big (Roughly chopped)
- Ginger Garlic Paste -1 tsp
- Bay Leaves – 2
- Fennel seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Clove – 4 pods
- Cinnamon – 2 inch stick
- Chana Masala – 1 generous tsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Chat Masala – 1 tsp
- Cilantro and Curry Leaves for Garnishing
- Oil and Salt as Needed .
- In a pre heated pan, add in some oil, once the oil get heated up add onion ,tomato and ginger garlic paste and cook it until the tomato becomes soft and the raw smell of ginger garlic paste goes off.
- Set it aside, let that cool and now in a blender add in the cooled onion,tomato,ginger garlic paste and make a smooth paste.
- Then in the same blender add half a cup of chana and powder it.
- Now in a pre heated wide pan add in some oil, once it became hot add bay leaves,fennel seeds,clove,cinnamon and cook it for few mins.
- Then add very small or a quarter cup of finely chopped onion and cook it until it become soft.
- Now add the onion,tomato paste which we made before and cook it for few minutes then add Chana masala powder we made. Give it a mix and cook it for a good 5 -7 mins.
- It is time to add all spice powders one next to other with needed salt , cook it for few mins with little bit of water.
- Then add our boiled chana with a cup of water. Close the lid and cook for 10-15 mins by giving a good stir in a 5 mins interval.
- Finally, turn off the flame by adding chat masala into it. Then give it a stir and garnish it with some cilantro and curry leaves.
- Serve it hot with Roti. Happy eating 🙂