Idli Sambar is my all time favorite dish. I usually dunk the idli’s in sambar and have it.It also goes well with Dhosa, Pongal,Vada and even with rice;-) Whenever i have idli/dhosa batter i don’t miss doing this dish. We love to have it for breakfast. Whenever i have guest visiting home, i usually prefer to do Idli Sambar in larger quantity.It is easy to do dish and a healthy one since we add in lentils in it, also this dish doesn’t consume to much of your time.So let me start my version of idli sambar dish..
- Toor dal -1/2 cup
- Moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Onion -1/2
- Tomato – 1 large (Roughly chopped)
- Green chili -1 roughly chopped
- Carrot – 2 nos (diced)
- Tamarind water – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 2 Cups
- Hing – 1/4 tsp
- Samba Powder – 2 tsp
- Cilantro – finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Split urad dal -1/2 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
- In a Pressure cooker, add in a tsp of oil and once the oil got heated up add in mustard seeds, after it starts to pop add in urad dal, fenugreek seeds.
- Now add in onion, green chili and cook it for few mins. Then add tomato and cook it until it become mushy and soft. Now add in diced carrot.
- Add toor and moong dal with needed water and give it a mix.Add in hing,turmeric powder and salt.
- In a medium flame, pressure cook it for almost 3 whistles and leave it until the pressure releases.Now Open the cooker and mash the dal and heat it up.
- Now In a small bowl, dissolve the sambar powder with some water and make a watery paste.Add the paste in the boiling sambar .
- Let it boil, add water to adjust the consistency.Let it boil for a good 5 -8 mins.Then add in tamarind water. Cook it for 5 more mins.
- Add a tsp of ghee and switch off the flame.Garnish it with some curry leaves and cilantro. Serve it hot with idli’s 🙂