Spinach is an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A (in the form of carotenoids), manganese, magnesium, iron, copper, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin E, calcium, potassium, and vitamin C. Spinach rice is easy to do dish. It take just 15 mins to prepare this dish.Even thought spinach being a healthy dish it doesn’t comes under the category of favorites. But the way you cook can make it jump in and come into the to-do and favorite list. Eating spinach at least thrice in a week is highly recommended for a healthy life. Here let me share a traditional spinach rice (Keera sadham) from my grandma’s cook book.
- Baby Spinach— A cup Full of leaves
- water–2 cups
- Toor Dal—half a cup
- Green chili–3 Chopped roughly
- Oil–1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Hing : A pinch
- Turmeric powder– A Pinch
- Vadagam –1 tsp
- In a preheated pan boil 2 cups of water. Add a cup of spinach,salt,roughly chopped green chili and half cook it for 5 mins.
- In the mean time pressure cook the dal with salt,hing and turmeric powder for 2-3 whistles. Don’t make the dal mushy.
- Now in a blender add in the half cooked spinach with green chili and dal draining out the water.
- Add in some water if needed and make a smooth paste. Transfer it to a bowl.
- Now in a pan add a tsp of oil, after it got heated up add a tsp of vadagam,once it started to crackle add it to the spinach paste.
- Mix it with rice and enjoy healthy with potato fry .