Sabudana is a light-meal choice for all fasting days. Sabudana, also known as Tapioca, makes a delicious Khichdi. Tapioca Khichdi is great for breakfast or you can have it as a snack. Making the sabudana khichdi, you have to adjust the soaking time as per the type of tapioca pearls you use. For some pearls 2 to 3 hours of soaking is fine, for some it take more then 5 hours. Just cover the pearls with water for some time and you are done. Soak the sabudana pearls accordingly, i am showing the overnight soaking method.
Rinse 1 cup sabudana or tapioca pearls a couple of times in water. Soak the sabudana in water. To check if the sabudana have become soft or not, you should be easily able to press the sabudana and it would get mashed up easily. Drain the pearls well. Depending on the quality of pearls you can soak them overnight or for some hours. I always soak them overnight since even after soaking them for 2 to 3 hours, they don’t soften in my case.Only soaking takes times, cooking it is so simple and take just 10-15 min
2.Mustard seed 1/2tsp
4.Urad dal 1/2tsp
5.Green chili :1(washed and chopped finely)
6.Turmeric powder :A pinch
7. Asafortida/Hing: A pinch
8.Sabudana (1 cup washed and soaked)
9.Peanuts (1/2 cup)roasted and crushed
10.Ginger : A inch piece (Chopped finely)
11.Chopped Boiled Potato : 1
12.Cilantro/Coriander leaves( Finely chopped)
13. Juice from a lemon
- In a pre heated pan, add in a tsp of oil let the oil get heated up, now add mustard seed and cumin once it started to crackle add in urad dal, green chili, onion and give it a stir.
- Stir until the onion become soft , add hing/asafortida,turmeric powder,boiled potato and salt. Cook it for 3 mins.
- Now add the sabudana and cook it for 5-7 mins in low flame, Give it a stir so that sabudana blend well will potato,onion and all other ingredient.
- To check readiness, the sabudana would have changed its color from white to translucent and it should be soft and tender not mushy.
- Each tapioca ball will be separate and not like sticky. Once cooked, add in the crushed peanuts, lemon juice and finely chopped coriander leaves. Turn off the heat. cover the pan and allow it to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve it hot as a breakfast or a snack.