Tomato Thokku is my all time favorite side dish. It goes well with Idli/Dhosa .The best part of it is, we can prepare it easily and store it for 3 days. The taste will not be spoiled. It is a very good lunch box dish. Also when we plan to go for a picnic or a day out we prefer tomato thooku. It goes well not only with idli and dhosa even we can have it as a side dish to curd rice.
Onion — 1
Tomato — 3
Ginger garlic paste –less than half a tsp
Red Chilli –2 or 1 depend on your spice level
Asafoetida — a pinch
Turmeric powder — less than half tsp
Salt to taste
Oil to saute
oil –2 Tsp
Mustard seeds –half tsp
Urad dal –half tsp
Red chili powder– a pinch (optional)
Direction for tomato thokku
- To begin making, In a pre-heated pan put some oil, add onion and cook it for 3 mins then add ginger garlic paste. Cook it until the raw smell goes away.
- Now add red chili, salt, asafoetida, turmeric powder and give it a saute. Finally add tomatoes.
- Cook it until the raw smell of tomato goes away and it become soft and smooth. Then off the gas and set it aside.
- After it comes to a normal room temperature, Put the mixture in a blender and give it a mix. It forms a smooth paste. Set the mixture aside.
- Now in a heating pan add some oil then add mustard seeds, let it crackle then add urad dal, Simmer the gas and add the mixture.
- Give it a stir,now add a pinch of chili powder or you can even skip it if you feel it makes your dish so spicy.
- Stir it continuously.
Serve it with idli/Dosa/paratha/curd rice.