Dosa and Idli is a yummy and filling breakfast dishes which is eaten as a breakfast twice or thrice in a week at most of the south Indian homes, It is easy and delicious dish. which take just 5 mins to do (If the batter is ready.) It goes well with sambar, tomato chutney, mint chutney and so on.
The batter is made using rice, urad dal and some Fenugreek seeds If you have this batter ready with you then your morning breakfast is the easiest.
Dosa batter Preparation
Rice —->4 cups ( a special rice available in the indian stores for making idli and dosa’s)
Urad dal—->1 cup
Fenugreek seeds –> 2 tsp
Water —> for soaking
Direction for how to make Dosa/Idli batter:
- Soak rice in water . Same way Soak ural dal and fenugreek seed together in water. Soak it in such a way that the dal and the rice should immersed completely in the water.
- Soak it for 8 hours (I usually prefer to soak it overnight).
- Then,First grind the urad dal with fenugreek seed into a fine smooth batter. While grinding just add enough water to make it into a smooth batter. The batter will look fluffy.
- Next,grind rice add little little water while grinding, adding too much of water make the batter watery. Rice batter will not be as smooth as urad batter. It will be little coarser.
- Once both are grinded. Mix it so that both rice and urad batter blend together. Now its time for fermentation.
- Combine the urad and rice batter, add salt ,mix it and set aside for at least 12 hours or overnight until the batter ferments. Do not touch it or mix it within the time frame.
- After the time frame you will notice the batter would have risen in volume.
- You should place the batter in a large container so it has enough room to increase in its volume.
The first two days,ie the fresh fermented batter will be best for making idli’s and every other day after that adding some water in the batter make it liquidize so that dosa will be easy to spread and it turn out cripy and thin.
IN the pic: I had add in some water in the batter to make it good for DOSA